FRAUD PREVENTION MONTH
MARCH IS FRAUD PREVENTION MONTH
Fraud Prevention Month is a month-long crime prevention initiative aimed at educating and informing consumers and communities on how to recognize, report and stop fraud.
Across Alberta, interested police and law enforcement agencies, and community and consumer groups form the Alberta Fraud Prevention Month committee to plan events and spread key messages to the public on how to better protect themselves.
WEEKLY CRIME PREVENTION THEMES
Every year the Alberta Fraud Prevention Month Committee selects weekly themes to help all participating agencies present a unified message and campaign for the month of March.
Join us at Fraud Prevention Month Launch Events
March 1, Calgary Central Library from 12-5PM
March 2, Ford Hall in Rogers Place, Edmonton.
Theme 1 - Cyber Crime/Online Scams
- online marketplace/Facebook scams
- employment scams
- advance fee scams
- loan scams
- online ticket sale scams
Theme 2 - Identity Theft/Fraud
- identity theft/fraud
- phone scams – goal to steal identity
- email scams - goal to steal identity
- mail theft
- security of documents/shredding etc.
Theme 3 – Business Fraud/Scams
- scams targeting businesses and/or Businesses targeting consumers
- phishing targeting businesses
- phone scams targeting businesses
- business email compromise
- mortgage fraud
- money laundering in real estate
- contractor scams
- door to door scams
Theme 4 – Mass Marketing/Phone Scams
- spoofed phone numbers/calls
- phone scams – tech support, Microsoft, CRA, airlines, etc.
- fraudulent telemarketers
- mass mail-outs/subscriptions